Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Gallery: Zyta's Sashiko Hanten

This is a truly amazing sashiko hanten jacket  that my customer Zyta Cwalinska has created using patches of antique indigo cotton from our shop.




 Zyta only began sashiko last year and her first piece  was one of the viewers' choice winners in our exhibition in October.  Zyta's hanten was inspired by traditional sashiko stitched and patched fishermen's hanten. She has  beautifully stitched the lining as well  but somehow I forgot to get photos so I'll add them later if I get a chance. 

 
 



Zyta's sashiko reflects what I love about a lot of old sashiko. It's a very individual piece which is full of character and shows the hand of the person who created it.  There is a warmth to Zyta's stitching which has been lost in many modern sashiko projects. We think of sashiko being traditionally done on plain indigo but it was often stitched on patterned indigos such as kasuri (ikat) as well. The floral  katazome panels wouldn't have been typical on fishermen's hanten but give it a more feminine feel and look stunning.  The combination of the fabric pattern and the sashiko pattern makes each panel in the jacket unique and gives another dimension to its character.  Many thanks to Zyta for letting me share these photos of her amazing work.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for posting this, Jan.Zyta's stitching on patterned indigo is really creative and gives such a rich texture . Most exciting fabric I've seen in ages!
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Claudia. Thanks for posting - I'll pass it on to Zyta as well. She'd been working on the jacket for months and I knew it would be fantastic but I was really blown away when I saw it.
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zyta has created a real heirloom for the future. I can imagine Stephen for Sri Treads being amazed by it also. It's like a good work of art in that it holds the eye. I could look at it for hours!

      Claudia - (I press anon as I can't work ou the other stuff!)

      Delete
  3. Hello is beauthifull

    ReplyDelete